There is only one reason to hire the cheaper option…because it’s cheap.
It seems like a good option when we can’t discern any difference between that and the more expensive version. Heinz beans can cost three times as much as the supermarket own branded beans, so the people who buy the cheaper option do so because they don’t believe the Heinz brand taste three times as nice, or is three times more healthy.
I can look at a photo of a Rolls Royce next to a 1999 beat up Fiat Panda and know in an instant why they are different prices. In the service industry it’s more difficult, as there is nothing tangible to compare and contrast. Put two magicians websites side by side and it’s hard to spot the difference. Aren’t they just both people that do tricks?
Whereas there is only one argument for using a cheaper product or service, there are several arguments for using an expensive, quality one. Here’s ten reasons you should consider using an expensive magician:
- He’s expensive because he has more outgoings than the guys that know a few tricks and perform at weekends. Expensive magicians have accountants, maybe an office and are members of accredited organisations, such as Equity. The cheaper guys, because they don’t do it for a living, have no (or very little) marketing costs. They can afford to wait for gigs to come to them.
- He’s insured. An expensive magician has Public Liability Insurance. We do tricks with rings, bottles and watches – things that can break, slide off fingers and roll across the floor or just shatter! We know how much you value these things, so we pay to ensure their safety and your peace of mind.
- Expensive magicians aren’t rushing off to another job. Someone who will do a few hours at your party for £50 needs to work quite a few parties at the weekend to get a decent wage, so will cram events together. If your wedding is running late (and let’s face it, most of them do!), do you really want to hear, “I’d love to stay, but I’ve got another party to go to!”?
- He looks good. An expensive magician won’t turn up to your party wearing sweat pants or a shell suit, before getting changed into his dad’s ill fitting wedding suit. He’ll have invested in quality suits that he knows suit his job and the venues/clients he performs for.
- He’ll act professionally. When he’s at your venue, he’ll be like a well oiled machine, only not oiled or machine like. He’ll get there early, speak to the staff and confirm all the details with you, to make sure everything is perfect.
- The booking process will be easy and fill you with confidence. An expensive magician invests in CRM software that effectively and securely manages his bookings. He’ll have a system for invoicing and contracts, so you have the peace of mind knowing that the date is secure and you have a copy of the paperwork with all the details on. There is no way that he’s going to ditch you should a better job come along!
- It has been scientifically proven in this study that expensive magicians can help you lose weight, be a better lover, get a bigger house, drive a faster car and earn tons more money than cheap magicians.
- They have the experience. An expensive magician has performed at hundreds of events just like yours. He knows them inside out and is prepared for pretty much any eventuality. You can rest assured that no matter what happens on the night, he’ll be ready.
- Your boss will love you! If you’re booking a magician for a corporate event, you’ll want someone who is a safe bet. The last thing you need to do is book a terrible act that will make you look bad for booking them. If you book someone who is more expensive, you’re paying for all the details listed above – and you can tell your boss that. He’ll be happy with your choice, meaning that you won’t have egg on your face.
- They’ll be able to help you make the event the best it can be. A quality magician will be able to offer advice and ideas for other aspects of the event you may be organising. We’ve worked with event companies at weddings and corporate events, so we know what works in certain situations and what doesn’t. If you’re organising your first event, an experienced magician could be a good sounding board for some ideas and help eliminate some of the more obvious problems we often see at events.
Sure, it’s not as simple as buying the most expensive service or product and that’s not why I wrote this. All I’m saying is that there is so much more to take into account when talking about the price of a magician than what they do for you when he shows up at your party for a couple of hours.