Ok, ok, so I’m a little bit late wishing you happy new year, but I’m going to do it anyway…HAPPY NEW YEAR!
I hope that you all had a fabulous Christmas and New Year and that you were all good boys and girls for Santa, so that you got all the presents that you wanted.
A lot of people make resolutions around this time of year. Resolutions about work, eating, exercise, toxic habits abound, so I’m not going to talk about that here. Instead, I’d like to look back on what I have done this past year; what has 2014 held for me. It’s often amazing what you can accomplish in just one year, and looking back like this can often fill you with a sense of satisfaction that you may not feel, if you’re focusing only on the future, into distant goals.
So, I’ll start you off. Here’s some of the things, both personal and professional, that I’ve achieved in 2014:
- Wrote a book with a cartoonist hero of mine (yet another chance to put a link to it, HERE).
- Got asked by the garden centre where we met to discuss and compile the book if they could sell it!
- Started comedy.
- Won a comedy competition (I still can’t quite believe this one!).
- Died on my backside at comedy (I can definitely believe this one).
- Managed to not get gonged off a gong show.
- Drank nothing but water for 2 weeks to raise money for the RNLI.
- Ran a card magic class.
- Got an idea published in a Viz book.
- Finally managed to find myself a CRM system that works (and that I can understand – thank you Giggio!).
- Got a gag published, and drawn, in Becks calendar.
- Performed at a wedding as a super secret fake vicar.
- Became a dog person.
- Did 4 chin ups.
- Helped someone write something for a magic convention.
- I DID 4 CHIN UPS!
- Asked, and was asked, to be involved in 3 secret projects.
- Landed my first £1,000 per hour gig.
- Was introduced to the fragrant world of Reed diffusing.
- I was approached by two TV companies.
- I decided to take time out to say thanks to the people I appreciate.
- I received a £50 tip via a handshake (just like the movies!)
- I did my first radio show as a magician.
- Was offered a radio show as a magician.
Out of all of these, I’m most proud of number 14. My wife is most impressed by number 13.
The great thing is that, though some of these will hopefully continue and improve throughout 2015 and beyond, all of them were completely new, and it’s only when I took time out to look back that I remembered all of them.
If you can compile your own list of 24 things you did in 2014, that’s two things a month. They can be big things or small things, it doesn’t matter. You’re doing stuff. You’re learning, you’re exploring, you;re failing, you’re succeeding. It’s just awesome.
Now I just need to set me some goals for 2015….